Hello! Our last blog update was in JULY! JULY, people! (To say we've been busy would be a total understatement!) And as December and 2018 come to a close, we are thankful for you, our customers.
We are thankful for the support you have given us. The repeat business we get from so many of you, and the pieces you entrust us with, that have been in your family for years. We are thankful for each and every one of you!
We have had the lovely opportunity to rent a room up at Golly G in Hermantown, for the past 6 months! And that will continue in the new year! If you haven't been to the shop yet, oh, you simply MUST go! Vintage goodness and pieces of nostalgia are everywhere! Gina sure does know what we love, and displays it each month! The last sale of the year is this Saturday from 10 til 4! It is going to be a fun one!
Hopping Wren has had some pretty awesome opportunities this year! We were asked to paint the awesome barn doors that were displayed up at the Junk Hunt this past November! How cool is that? Hopping Wren was not AT the Junk Hunt last month, but a piece of it was! (I was sitting on a beach in California visiting my son!) We were given the opportunity to take our paint brush on the road to relove cabinets, furniture and vintage doors that will be in a new cabin just south of Duluth. (We'll be heading there next week to take pics and see them displayed in their new home! Check back to see them!)
Hopping Wren hired its first part time employee of the summer, and we hope to have Beth back when the school year is over! She made our summer so much more productive, by cleaning and prepping furniture! (Beth, if you are reading this, YOU ROCK!)
Oh, and last but certainly not least, we will hopefully be doing something about our lack of heat and work space in the new year. Growth and success is awesome, but it also comes with changes. So hopefully, our garage will be used for its intended purpose next winter, to keep our cars in. (Hubby, if YOU are reading this, keep your fingers and toes crossed!)
Its been a fantastic year! Thank you again for your support of our little garage business, that really isn't so little anymore! Cheers to you all for a happy and prosperous new year!
And JUST LIKE THAT...it's July! Summer is in full swing here in Northern Minnesota! Concerts, Lake Superior and of course, this is prime painting weather! We've been working like crazy around here and its certainly paying off! Lots of changes....are you ready for the list?
1. We've hired someone! Her name is Beth and she is an absolute angel who cleans, sands and preps our furniture for us!
2. We are renting a space up at Golly G in the New Vintage Marketplace in Hermantown! Check out their facebook page for sale dates and information about their Saturday markets! So. Much. FUN!
3. Our custom order calendar is filling up. Fast! Right now, we are a month out and into the second week of August for custom orders. Can you believe it? I have to pinch myself some days to see if I'll wake up! We are so happy to bring new life into your antique, vintage and family pieces!
4. We are no longer at Maker's Mercantile as they are changing their venue to a vintage camper and will be popping up near you in the future! I can't wait to see what they will have in their new space! Furniture may be too big for the camper, but we love shopping there!
5. We are taking classes and learning new techniques! Keep an eye out on our sale page for them!
6. Our furniture is still up at Wonderfully Made and we are adding new pieces next week! Check out their shop if you get a chance! Lots of local goodies for all your gift giving needs :)
7. You can still find our whiskey and wine barrel orbs up at The Gardeing Junky!
8. Hopping Wren is now making their own wax and will be marketing it soon! Keep checking our facebook page for updates!
9. We've been teaching classes at Esko's Community Ed, Golly G and soon to come...a class in our garage! More coming soon!
10. And something that hasn't changed? We still love what we do and are humbled each day by how well we have been recieved into Duluth's group of makers! So thank you, to everyone who has ever bought a piece of furniture, said a kind word, or clicked on our webpage. YOU ROCK!
Happy April! We are still waiting for spring to show up here in Northern Minnesota! (Southern Minnesota is having a blizzard right now!) Not my favorite time of year, as I would LOVE for the weather to be a balmy 50 degrees (ABOVE ZERO) the sun to be shining and for my driveway to be full of furniture to paint! Thats when I am happiest!
Custom orders have covered the calendar for the month of April! I've done bedroom sets, end tables, night stands, cedar chests and mirrors this past week! I also have a few buffets out in the garage that are ready to be sanded and painted! If you are looking for a statement piece, look no further! Message me for pictures if you would like to see how detailed and stunning they are! I will be taking custom orders for May starting on April 20th. If you have a piece that needs a little extra love, call or message us!
A few things are changing here at Hopping Wren! Instead of sticking to the tried and true brands of chalk paint that I've been using for the past few years (and will continue to use) I'm adding new products and finishes. Milk paint has become one of my favorite types of paint to use, and I'm learning some new tricks and taking classes from some pretty wonderful furniture flippers!
I have just begun to send out a few tins of my home made, all natural furniture wax! So far, so good! It smells great, leaves a subtle sheen on furniture and is also good for chapped lips and cracked elbows and heels. Seriously! If you purchase a piece of furniture from me this month, or have a custom order done, I'll throw in a tin of it! It will be packaged and labled some time in May.
Spring is right around the corner....I just know it!
Wow! Its the end of March and there is snow on the ground. Why am I always surprised by this? We live in Northern Minnesota! Still, I'm ready for spring.
We have been busy the last few weeks, picking up new pieces and filling up the shops. Still painting in the basement and looking forward to moving our little operation into the garage for summer.
I've taught a few classes with Gina over at Golly G, this winter. Look for more classes on our facebook page!
Other happenings? We have been making wine and whiskey barrel wreaths and they have been selling like crazy! If you see one, snatch it up fast, as there are only a few left out there! We will be whipping up a few orbs for summer as well.
Oh! And here's my latest blog post at the Duluth Mom's Blog!
Hoppy Easter to you from us at Hopping Wren Furniture!
I was recently asked what I thought of all of the other furniture painters in the Duluth area. Well, I love them! All of them! Theres a gal in town that stages her funiture and accessories LIKE A BOSS! She truly does! I've purchased items from her that I could have done myself but she has her own spin on how she paints and displays things. I've sent people to her to purchase large items. (Look closely at the white dresser pictured above. I was laying on my back under my saw horses in the basement to take this picture. You can see my knee in the bottom right side of it lol! This is how I roll....) We are all different! Theres a woman up the shore that paints and sells on the same venues as I do. Facebook, Craigslist, etc. I LOVE her ideas! Her items are just beautiful! And I tell her so. You know why? Because I prefer to work together instead of against one another. Are there a lot of us furniture refinishers out there. YES! A LOT! But, we are all different. Our styles all say that we are individuals. If 20 of us were given the same exact dresser to paint, I think the finished products would be 20 different dressers completed!
I feel fortunate that I live in a community of makers that lift up and support each other. We do NOT work against each other. If I run across someone that is saying some negative things about another artist, I walk the other way. Why? Because I chose to work WITH instead of against.
I've been so busy this month with custom orders and estimates that I have been running all over the place like crazy! But, hubby and I are going to head to Arizona in a couple weeks and soak up some sunshine and family time! I can't wait! Arizona is one of my happy places <3
Keep an eye out....my mom may persuade me to paint something while I am there! :) She wont have to try too hard <3
Enjoy your February! March is right around the corner and summer is after that!
See? I AM a glass half full kinda gal!